How do I recover foreign EU VAT?

All UK VAT registered companies are entitled to recover VAT they have suffered in each of the other 27 member states. There are specific conditions which may affect the recoverability of the VAT suffered, these are based on the purpose and type of expenses incurred. These rules vary for each member state and have been outlined in our information leaflets below.

The claim must be submitted electronically to HMRC by 30 September of the year following to the year over which the VAT was suffered. However, the Dutch authorities have extended the period for which a claim can be submitted, in respect of any Dutch VAT suffered, up to 5 years.

In conclusion, this provides a great opportunity for anyone who failed to submit a EU VAT refund their Dutch VAT suffered between 2011-2015 to make a belated claim to recover the VAT suffered.

To find out more, call us on +44(0)330 024 3200, and talk to one of our business tax experts.

Reclaiming EU VAT
Reclaiming EU VAT - Specifics

Get in touch today

​London office

45 Pall Mall

T +44 (0)20 7930 7797
F +44 (0)330 024 3300

Watford office

Radius House
51 Clarendon Road
Herts WD17 1HP

T +44 (0)1923 232938
F +44 (0)330 024 3300

Milton Keynes office

249 Silbury Boulevard
Milton Keynes

T + 44 (0)1908 232020
F + 44 (0)330 024 3300

  • logo-02
  • ICAEW_CharteredAccountants_BLK_RGB1
  • logo-05
  • logo-06

Hillier Hopkins is a trading name of Hillier Hopkins LLP, which is registered as a Limited Liability Partnership in England & Wales, No. OC303707. Registered Office: Radius House, 51 Clarendon Road, Watford, Herts WD17 1HP. Registered to carry on audit work in the UK and Ireland by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales. A list of members of the LLP is available at the above address. HH and Hi logos are trade marks belonging to Hillier Hopkins LLP. © Hillier Hopkins LLP.