I sold a property this year and HMRC say I need to do a tax return?

If HMRC have issued a return you will normally need to complete and submit it. If you make a gain on the sale of a property you will need to pay capital gains tax on your profit: if you make a loss you will need to submit a return to claim the loss for use against any gains you make elsewhere.  The only exception to the need to submit a return, is a gain you make on your main residence where it fits wholly within the exemption available.

To find out more, call us on  +44(0)330 024 3200 and speak to one of our personal tax experts.

Get in touch today

  • logo-02
  • ICAEW_CharteredAccountants_BLK_RGB1
  • logo-05
  • logo-06

Hillier Hopkins is a trading name of Hillier Hopkins LLP, which is registered as a Limited Liability Partnership in England & Wales, No. OC303707. Registered Office: Radius House, 51 Clarendon Road, Watford, Herts WD17 1HP. Registered to carry on audit work in the UK and Ireland by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales. A list of members of the LLP is available at the above address. HH and Hi logos are trade marks belonging to Hillier Hopkins LLP. © Hillier Hopkins LLP.